From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 01:58:44
1 On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:51:17 -0500 Ben Kohler wrote:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
7 > > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
8 > > enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
9 > > used on non-desktop linux systems.
12 > I have server setups with udev disabled for most packages. So udev
13 > enabled by default will create maintenance problems. While I'm
14 > perfectly fine with udev enabled by default on desktops, it should
15 > not be forced on minimalistic setups like servers or containers.
16
17 80% of the servers on the planet are running a linux distro, and 99%
18 of those are probably running udev. Gentoo is probably the only
19 distro where making udev the (trivially disabled) default is even
20 remotely controversial.
21
22 Maybe we need some kind of ultra-minimal profile for people who really
23 don't want anything installed if they didn't put it there. It seems
24 odd to make that sort of configuration our "base" as it really isn't a
25 normal configuration by any standard.
26
27 There is nothing wrong with people who want to start with a minimal
28 profile. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to have that as a
29 default starting point. There is no reason that "base" needs to be a
30 subset of all the other profiles.
31
32 If for some reason we don't go with this, perhaps it would at least
33 make sense to have a server profile that enables it by default and
34 make base something that normal users are discouraged from using.
37 Rich