From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:28:53
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Lukasz Damentko <rane@g.o> said:
3 > > 1. I'd like to ask Council to discuss possible reactions to our [...]
4
5 > Due to their privacy policy I don't think we'll ever be able to get
6 > adequate explanations from Freenode staff when our devs are banned.
7
8 I think that's a limitation which will also applies to other IRC
9 networks, therefore we have to live with that limitation or run our own
10 IRC network. I can't say that I prefer the latter one ... we're a quite
11 good in running our distribution - but would we be also that good in
12 running our own IRC network? I guess not ...
13
14 > > 2. I want Council to consider moving their meetings somewhere where [...]
15
16 > If for some reason a developer was unable to attend a meeting due to
17 > being klined or the internet being FUBAR'd, I know that I have my IM
18 > details available in LDAP for that dev to be able to contact me, or they
19 > could send the entire council an email. I don't think setting up our own
20 > IRC server is worth the trouble for this small purpose.
21
22 +1 on that
23
24 > > 3. I want Council to consider creating and using irc.gentoo.org [...]
25
26 > I like this idea.
27
28 again +1 on that
29
30 > spb rose some concerns in the meeting with regards to
31 > some users thinking that if they came onto irc.gentoo.org and joined #java
32 > that it would be a Gentoo java channel, but it doesn't seem like
33 > Freenode considers this to be much of a problem. For evidence of this:
34 > http://freenode.net/acknowledgements.shtml
35 >
36 > They thank projects for pointing their domains to them, so I believe
37 > that the network as a whole shouldn't have a problem with this. If
38 > someone thinks I'm misunderstanding what they mean on that page, please
39 > let me know.
40
41 Given the fact that the concern spb raised in the meeting is a
42 non-problem, at least until Freenode changes its policy in that aspect,
43 i see no problem with pointing irc.g.o to irc.freenode.net. Plus
44 irc.g.o. in some way points to Freenode servers already
45
46 irc.gentoo.org canonical name = irc.osuosl.org.
47
48 irc.osuosl.org is an A record for 140.211.166.3 and 140.211.166.4 which
49 are both Freenode boxes.
50
51 Tobias