From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:28:03
1 Lukasz Damentko <rane@g.o> said:
2 > Fair enough. Let me wrap up the IRC part.
3 >
4 > 1. I'd like to ask Council to discuss possible reactions to our
5 > developer being banned from Freenode without providing us with a
6 > reason. The situation looks like one of Freenode staffers overreacted
7 > over something Chris said during previous Council meeting and banned
8 > him to prevent him from attending next meetings when he was supposed
9 > to provide more information on the CoC topic. The ban was removed
10 > after an hour, but they still refuse to provide us with reasons for it
11 > which looks like (mostly because we weren't shown any sane
12 > justification for the ban) a cover up operation. It would be good if
13 > Council officially protested against that ban and demanded a detailed
14 > explanation from Freenode staff.
15
16 Due to their privacy policy I don't think we'll ever be able to get
17 adequate explanations from Freenode staff when our devs are banned.
18
19 > 2. I want Council to consider moving their meetings somewhere where
20 > third parties can't control who in Gentoo can attend and who can't.
21 > Like our own small and created just for this purpose IRC server. A
22 > situation when a third party may disallow our developer from attending
23 > a meeting without even telling us why isn't the healthiest one. We
24 > should be independent from such decisions of third parties so they
25 > can't politically influence Council decisions by removing people who
26 > are inconvenient for them. Now when it (most probably) happened once,
27 > we have no other choice but to believe it's possible it will happen
28 > again.
29
30 If for some reason a developer was unable to attend a meeting due to
31 being klined or the internet being FUBAR'd, I know that I have my IM
32 details available in LDAP for that dev to be able to contact me, or they
33 could send the entire council an email. I don't think setting up our own
34 IRC server is worth the trouble for this small purpose.
35
36 > 3. I want Council to consider creating and using irc.gentoo.org alias
37 > instead of irc.freenode.net in our docs, news items and so on. The
38 > alias would allow us to move out of the network more easily should we
39 > ever decide to do so. Debian did exactly the same a couple of months
40 > ago prior to them moving out to OFTC
41 > (http://www.debian.org/News/2006/20060604) so maybe it would be a
42 > good idea to have this for Gentoo too. Infra (Shyam Mani) say it isn't
43 > a problem at all to create and maintain it, we in fact already have
44 > something like this pointing at Freenode, it would be just a question
45 > of updating that alias and updating our docs with it. It would
46 > increase our independence from Freenode and make future network
47 > switching much easier should we ever decide it's time to part our ways
48 > with our current IRC service provider.
49
50 I like this idea. spb rose some concerns in the meeting with regards to
51 some users thinking that if they came onto irc.gentoo.org and joined #java
52 that it would be a Gentoo java channel, but it doesn't seem like
53 Freenode considers this to be much of a problem. For evidence of this:
54 http://freenode.net/acknowledgements.shtml
55
56 They thank projects for pointing their domains to them, so I believe
57 that the network as a whole shouldn't have a problem with this. If
58 someone thinks I'm misunderstanding what they mean on that page, please
59 let me know.
60
61 Thanks,
64 Mark Loeser