From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:17:20
1 On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:05:42 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > While OpenRC is likely perfectly capable of starting/stopping
7 > > daemons as a normal user (with some tweaks), I expect systemd
8 > > replacing init, to already have a fair bit of isssues with being
9 > > just a normal unprivileged user. I may be wrong, of course.
10 > > However, the notorious reputation of that piece of software aiming
11 > > for system-domination doesn't really make it sound to me like it
12 > > ever will be a good match for Prefix.
13 >
14 > Yup, hence my final comment. However, I suspect that the
15 > multitude-of-init-systems is going to be a somewhat temporary
16 > condition for a few years, and after that with the amount of vertical
17 > integration everybody is pushing one may win out. If that happens,
18 > we'll all be using whatever that ends up being, regardless of whether
19 > it is a good match for Prefix. If the world remains heterogeneous
20 > then most likely Gentoo will remain as such also, and other than all
21 > the package maintainers having to supply 3 different init scripts for
22 > their pacakges all will be well for Prefix.
23
24 I would be really happy if openrc supported systemd units. Or any other
25 good unit format but it's probably too late to invent anything here...
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny