From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:08:16
1 On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > While OpenRC is likely perfectly capable of starting/stopping daemons as
3 > a normal user (with some tweaks), I expect systemd replacing init, to
4 > already have a fair bit of isssues with being just a normal unprivileged
5 > user. I may be wrong, of course. However, the notorious reputation of
6 > that piece of software aiming for system-domination doesn't really make
7 > it sound to me like it ever will be a good match for Prefix.
8
9 Yup, hence my final comment. However, I suspect that the
10 multitude-of-init-systems is going to be a somewhat temporary
11 condition for a few years, and after that with the amount of vertical
12 integration everybody is pushing one may win out. If that happens,
13 we'll all be using whatever that ends up being, regardless of whether
14 it is a good match for Prefix. If the world remains heterogeneous
15 then most likely Gentoo will remain as such also, and other than all
16 the package maintainers having to supply 3 different init scripts for
17 their pacakges all will be well for Prefix.
18
19 Rich