From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:57:30
1 On 06-08-2012 07:49:48 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 06-08-2012 13:37:55 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 > >> > Also, I'm not so sure if this will work correctly for Prefix.
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm sure that is easily checked and we will get feedback quickly.
7 > >
8 > > I'm sure systemd/udev will never run in (a) Prefix, so perhaps it is
9 > > more sensical not to pseudo-provide support for it.
10 >
11 > I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. Right now openrc
12 > doesn't work on Prefix but there is a SoC project to change that. Why
13 > wouldn't we assume that somebody will do the same for systemd?
14 > Obviously the long-term future of systemd/openrc/alternatives is
15 > unclear now, but that just seems to be all the more reason to keep our
16 > options open.
17 >
18 > I'm not suggesting that we fully build-in support for systemd under
19 > Prefix and so on, but rather I'm suggesting that if leaving it open as
20 > an option now saves us a lot of rework later we should consider it.
21 >
22 > (And yes, I realize that systemd is currently linux-only and why that
23 > would make any use under Prefix difficult.)
24
25 While OpenRC is likely perfectly capable of starting/stopping daemons as
26 a normal user (with some tweaks), I expect systemd replacing init, to
27 already have a fair bit of isssues with being just a normal unprivileged
28 user. I may be wrong, of course. However, the notorious reputation of
29 that piece of software aiming for system-domination doesn't really make
30 it sound to me like it ever will be a good match for Prefix.
34 Fabian Groffen
35 Gentoo on a different level