From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:00:14
1 On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 15:41 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:03 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>>What would be your recommendation on how to handle this for mips, then?
6 > >>>Make the virtual alsa-driver?
7 > >>
8 > >>This wouldn't work, as none of our alsa drivers are actually provided by
9 > >>alsa-driver.
12 > > OK. How does it work now, then?
13 > >
14 > > ...and please provide me with any information that you think I might
15 > > need or even a suggestion on what you want. This having to email back
16 > > and forth is tiresome.
19 > If you are so concerned with getting this issue hammered out without
20 > more than one email, you should have just pinged one of us on irc.
21 > What's wrong with having an ongoing discussion on a mailing list where
22 > anybody might be able to chip in to the conversation?
23
24 My point was really that if you know pertinent information, why make
25 someone ask for it over and over again.
26
27 > Currently, we have two machines with alsa drivers (only one of which
28 > *really* works, but that is beside the point), and the working driver is
29 > applied to our mips-sources-2.6.* ebuilds along with the patchset for
30 > octane. However, this information is pretty irrelevent from my point of
31 > view. The real problems are that A) alsa-driver doesn't contain any
32 > mips drivers, B) 2.4 kernel sources do not contain the alsa drivers
33 > while 2.6 do, and C) that mips-sources included both 2.4 and 2.6.
34 > Therefore, we really do not have anything generic that can be changed to
35 > the default virtual for us without being broken (until such time as we
36 > can finally get rid of 2.4). I don't have a solution at this point in
37 > time either...I'm just saying how things are.
38
39 This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for when I
40 asked. Thank you.
41
42 As I understand it, the only working ALSA driver that you have it part
43 of mips-sources. It would make sense to me for that to be the default
44 virtual, as it would work for at least some people, versus the current
45 situation where it works for none.
46
47 > Unfortunately, we don't have any member of the mips team that really
48 > does much with sound (where did that Indy go to anyway?), so I'm not
49 > sure any of us are going to be able to give you a satisfying answer or
50 > solution.
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
55 x86 Architecture Team