From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:45:52
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:03 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 >>>What would be your recommendation on how to handle this for mips, then?
5 >>>Make the virtual alsa-driver?
6 >>
7 >>This wouldn't work, as none of our alsa drivers are actually provided by
8 >>alsa-driver.
11 > OK. How does it work now, then?
12 >
13 > ...and please provide me with any information that you think I might
14 > need or even a suggestion on what you want. This having to email back
15 > and forth is tiresome.
18 If you are so concerned with getting this issue hammered out without
19 more than one email, you should have just pinged one of us on irc.
20 What's wrong with having an ongoing discussion on a mailing list where
21 anybody might be able to chip in to the conversation?
22
23 Currently, we have two machines with alsa drivers (only one of which
24 *really* works, but that is beside the point), and the working driver is
25 applied to our mips-sources-2.6.* ebuilds along with the patchset for
26 octane. However, this information is pretty irrelevent from my point of
27 view. The real problems are that A) alsa-driver doesn't contain any
28 mips drivers, B) 2.4 kernel sources do not contain the alsa drivers
29 while 2.6 do, and C) that mips-sources included both 2.4 and 2.6.
30 Therefore, we really do not have anything generic that can be changed to
31 the default virtual for us without being broken (until such time as we
32 can finally get rid of 2.4). I don't have a solution at this point in
33 time either...I'm just saying how things are.
34
35 Unfortunately, we don't have any member of the mips team that really
36 does much with sound (where did that Indy go to anyway?), so I'm not
37 sure any of us are going to be able to give you a satisfying answer or
38 solution.
39
40 -Steve
41 --