From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:20:32
1 On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 15:41 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Currently, we have two machines with alsa drivers (only one of which
3 > *really* works, but that is beside the point), and the working driver is
4 > applied to our mips-sources-2.6.* ebuilds along with the patchset for
5 > octane. However, this information is pretty irrelevent from my point of
6 > view. The real problems are that A) alsa-driver doesn't contain any
7 > mips drivers, B) 2.4 kernel sources do not contain the alsa drivers
8 > while 2.6 do, and C) that mips-sources included both 2.4 and 2.6.
9 > Therefore, we really do not have anything generic that can be changed to
10 > the default virtual for us without being broken (until such time as we
11 > can finally get rid of 2.4). I don't have a solution at this point in
12 > time either...I'm just saying how things are.
13
14 I dont see this as a real reason to not change the default personally.
15 mips-sources exists in the tree for a reason, and are being actively
16 maintained. by setting the default virtual for alsa-sound to
17 gentoo-sources surely wont effect you anyways, considering alsa-drivers
18 doesn't work, gentoo-sources likely dont work, and mips-sources provide
19 virtual/alsa?
20
21 If at some point alsa-drivers decides to work, then can you not just
22 redefine the virtual in the mips profile?
23
24 Anyways, I see no real point here to prevent the move, however I found
25 it educational re: alsa-driver :)
28 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
29 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
30 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
31 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515
32 Web:
33 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9C745515
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list