From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:32:23
1 dont see this as a real reason to not change the default personally.
2 > mips-sources exists in the tree for a reason, and are being actively
3 > maintained. by setting the default virtual for alsa-sound to
4 > gentoo-sources surely wont effect you anyways, considering alsa-drivers
5 > doesn't work, gentoo-sources likely dont work, and mips-sources provide
6 > virtual/alsa?
7
8 The problem is that *all* mips-sources ebuilds do not provide alsa.
9 Only the mips-sources-2.6.* versions do this, and then only if
10 USE="ip30" (Octane users).
11
12 > If at some point alsa-drivers decides to work, then can you not just
13 > redefine the virtual in the mips profile?
14
15 Sure, it would be no problem in that case.
16
17 > Anyways, I see no real point here to prevent the move, however I found
18 > it educational re: alsa-driver :)
19
20 I'm just worried about folks running 2.4 systems (only Indys at this
21 point) with mips-sources "providing" alsa, but not really. This could
22 get even more tricky because I happen to know somebody is working on an
23 alsa driver for Indy, and it will be for 2.6 only. We're trying really
24 hard to get everything to where we can just get rid of 2.4, but until
25 that time, setting the virtual to mips-sources is technically broken.
26
27 -Steve
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list