From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:47:00
1 On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 14:28 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > The problem is that *all* mips-sources ebuilds do not provide alsa.
3 > Only the mips-sources-2.6.* versions do this, and then only if
4 > USE="ip30" (Octane users).
5
6 This makes sense, although not the USE flag.
7
8 > I'm just worried about folks running 2.4 systems (only Indys at this
9 > point) with mips-sources "providing" alsa, but not really. This could
10 > get even more tricky because I happen to know somebody is working on an
11 > alsa driver for Indy, and it will be for 2.6 only. We're trying really
12 > hard to get everything to where we can just get rid of 2.4, but until
13 > that time, setting the virtual to mips-sources is technically broken.
14
15 Of course, 2.4 kernels are technically broken because they dont support
16 alsa, and this is fixed in other profiles with the inclusion of a 2.4
17 (or 2.6) sub profile. However.. if nothing actually works with alsa,
18 then I dont see the problem in that case of making the profile default
19 mips-sources. if it happens to install 2.4 sources, then so be it. it
20 might be a technically incorrect provide.. but nothing else can fill it
21 any better. At least at this moment in time.
22
23 If it were me, thats what I would do. But of course, this change doesn't
24 really make any difference to mips one way or the other.
27 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
28 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
29 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
30 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515
31 Web:
32 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9C745515
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list