From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 00:01:36
1 Gregory M. Turner posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:13:20 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > For the record, I'm not saying we need to put pkgconfig in - I'm totally
4 > agnostic about that, as I am about whether it should be brought in as a
5 > dependency.
6
7 [Just replying here as it's handy.]
8
9 I don't believe the following bit has been explicitly stated yet. I'm
10 not sure if it's sufficiently implicit that it doesn't need stated for
11 not, but in case it helps:
12
13 The effect of adding pkgconfig to @system is just this: Currently, we
14 have an explicit list of all packages that need it (barring missing
15 dependency bugs, of course). If it gets added to @system, that list
16 immediately gets decimated, and while its historical value can always be
17 dug out of the VCS (as long as the git upgrade or whatever doesn't lose
18 that information, anyway), it's no longer being updated and will quickly
19 go stale, so when the time comes and we DO decide to finally seriously
20 tackle @system removal, that's one more dependency that we have to go to
21 (excuse the shouting) ALL THE WORK OF RECREATING THE DATA WE CURRENTLY
22 HAVE, ALL OVER AGAIN.
23
24 We have that data for pkgconfig now, and currently, it must be maintained
25 in at least a semi-reasonable state. If we ever DO get serious about
26 @system removal, we'll definitely need that data. So let's not go
27 voluntarily dumping it down the toilet, which is what adding pkgconfig to
28 @system would amount to, only to decide we actually need that data after
29 all, but by then it'll be gone, so we'll have to recreate it from
30 scratch. That's what all this is about, not adding yet another package
31 to the list of packages we don't HAVE proper dependency data for, data
32 that we'll have to create from scratch if we ever do decide to move on
33 the @system removal thing, when for this package at least, we already HAD
34 it, and will have deliberately thrown it away by adding the package to
35 @system.
38 If it was as simple as just adding it to the list, and we weren't
39 throwing away a quite valuable bunch of already accumulated dependency
40 data as a result, sure, no problem, go right ahead. Unfortunately...
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman