From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:16:28
1 On 8/31/2012 4:48 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So please introduce virtual/compiler, virtual/linker,
5 >> virtual/posix-system, virtual/sratatata and add them to DEPEND of every
6 >> single ebuild.
7 >
8 > Every ebuild doesn't need all of those - that is the whole point. As
9 > Duncan already pointed out, reducing @system is a goal, but it doesn't
10 > mean that we need to get there overnight. However, we'll never get
11 > there if we keep going backwards.
12
13 My 2c on this:
14
15 I'm reluctant to make "sweeping statements" like this, for any number of
16 reasons, but -- well, I'm gonna.
17
18 IMO, getting there by slow evolution is not the right way. At some
19 point, @system becomes so primitive that bootstrapping must come to
20 depend on more than @system, or we have to add add more "phases" to the
21 bootstrap process, or split @system up into smaller sets or something.
22
23 The point is, we can't gradually reach a goal that's incompatible with
24 the fundamental premise. It's all well and good to say "let's not put
25 more stuff into @system because we want it to shrink," but, as it
26 stands, there's a de-facto policy that @system includes everything
27 needed to have a reasonably functional Gentoo, including all of the
28 compilers, development tools and interpreters portage, gcc, and your rc
29 system of choice rely on. Until that fundamentally changes, IMO what
30 belongs in @system is whatever best suits its current purpose.
31
32 For the record, I'm not saying we need to put pkgconfig in - I'm totally
33 agnostic about that, as I am about whether it should be brought in as a
34 dependency.
35
36 I just mean, probably the best way to fix the fat-@system problem is to
37 create some kind of vision for a more-modular "Gentoo of the Future"
38 first, and create a roadmap for getting there, second.
39
40 Its possible, perhaps even likely, that if we try to go the incremental
41 route towards @system reduction, we will find, along the way, creative
42 solutions to the various issues that have kept it fat-ish so far. But
43 that's likely to lead to a fairly ad-hoc patchwork of hacks, which imo
44 would most likely be inferior to what could be achieved with some kind
45 of destination in mind (even if that destination is subject to major
46 revision as Gentoo progress toward it).
47
48 -gmt