From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:49:33
1 On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So please introduce virtual/compiler, virtual/linker,
4 > virtual/posix-system, virtual/sratatata and add them to DEPEND of every
5 > single ebuild.
6
7 Every ebuild doesn't need all of those - that is the whole point. As
8 Duncan already pointed out, reducing @system is a goal, but it doesn't
9 mean that we need to get there overnight. However, we'll never get
10 there if we keep going backwards.
13 > I believe that the more important direction here is to make development
14 > *easier*, not harder. Adding the same DEPENDs over and over again to
15 > every single package is at least frustrating.
16
17 This isn't needed by every single package either. I'm all for tools
18 that help automate DEPEND population, and I'm fine with having an
19 ebuild template that includes "gotcha" depends pre-populated so that
20 devs give them consideration (and deleting lines is easier than adding
21 them).
22
23 > Similarly frustrating
24 > would be if those 'reduced systems' had to rebuild gcc every time they
25 > wanted to compile something... oh wait, they would have to bootstrap it
26 > every time.
29 I would think that somebody running a reduced system would be likely
30 to be installing binary packages, or use a binary package of gcc, etc.
31 Presumably they knew what they're getting into and for whatever
32 reason the balance was considered acceptable for them. I would think
33 that the sorts of people who would run reduced systems would probably
34 not be updating them frequently anyway.
35
36 There are also other benefits of reduced @system besides running a
37 reduced system.
38