From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o, 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:08:11
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 07:48:23 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > So please introduce virtual/compiler, virtual/linker,
8 > > virtual/posix-system, virtual/sratatata and add them to DEPEND of
9 > > every single ebuild.
10 >
11 > Every ebuild doesn't need all of those - that is the whole point. As
12 > Duncan already pointed out, reducing @system is a goal, but it doesn't
13 > mean that we need to get there overnight. However, we'll never get
14 > there if we keep going backwards.
15
16 Reducing @system may be a goal but it should be a *reasonable* goal.
17 Not reducing because we can reduce but because it is bloated with
18 unneeded software.
19
20 We shouldn't even try to go below POSIX system requirements; we
21 shouldn't remove standard Linux stuff (from Linux profiles, at least)
22 either. And I believe toolchain belongs to @system as well; or at least
23 the C99 compiler.
24
25 And for a reasonable Gentoo toolchain, pkg-config is a must-have. At
26 least since we deprecated and are seriously fighting libtool.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny