From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:18:36
1 Michał Górny posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:08:12 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Reducing @system may be a goal but it should be a *reasonable* goal. Not
4 > reducing because we can reduce but because it is bloated with unneeded
5 > software.
6 >
7 > We shouldn't even try to go below POSIX system requirements; we
8 > shouldn't remove standard Linux stuff (from Linux profiles, at least)
9 > either. And I believe toolchain belongs to @system as well; or at least
10 > the C99 compiler.
11 >
12 > And for a reasonable Gentoo toolchain, pkg-config is a must-have. At
13 > least since we deprecated and are seriously fighting libtool.
14
15 I think I see the problem. Unsurprisingly it's a terminology definition
16 mismatch problem, as so many are. =:^\
17
18 The reduce @system idea considers it a simple set of packages that are
19 treated specially, and that exists to some degree for legacy reasons
20 (back when gentoo was first being created, it was just easier to do it
21 that way). The (obviously long-term) goal would be to eliminate @system
22 with its currently special treatment entirely, including POSIX
23 components. That may not be possible, but reducing it substantially
24 should be.
25
26 But we're not talking actually removing packages from a default gentoo
27 install, just increasing the number of packages that are directly
28 specified depends and removing them from the @system _set_, until there's
29 very little if anything left to it.
30
31 Thus, not adding it to @system in no way means it's not considered
32 mandatory for a normal install, it just means the ultimate goal is to
33 have all the deps specified and nothing left in @system, and while
34 progress isn't fast by a long shot, the first thing is to ensure we're
35 not regressing!
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman