From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple kdelibs
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:12:10
1 On Monday 22 October 2001 22:40, you wrote:
2 > Hmm .. if this is possible, putting all libs in /usr/lib should be too.
3 Let's put it this way: AFAIK it's possible and probably, just as it worked
4 with qt. I haven't tested it yet (will in the next 2 days), but am confident
5 it'll work. The libs cannot be placed in one dir because they have the same
6 names, but ld knows how to select the right one at run time, or rather the
7 first one that works.
8
9 > Hmm, this means that no KDE-apps will have there binaries in /usr/bin,
10 > or?
11 There'll be no kde-base/* binaries in /usr (kdebase, kdenetwork, whatever). I
12 expect that all other KDE apps will still live in /usr, since there's little
13 need for multiple versions of them. I think that's best.
14
15 Of course, there's nothing to say that one of the kdes installed shouldn't
16 live in /usr and the others in /opt/kde$V, but it'd be difficult to selecvt
17 via ebuilds where to install in that case. Another disadvantage of /usr is
18 that it tends to get into paths and mix things up, whereas /opt/* isn't in
19 any path unless I put it there.
20
21 > Hmm.. this will cause lots of troubles for developers (KDE/QT-developers
22 > that is) that has to make special cases for compiling things on Gentoo.
23 I understand that you mean people compiling manually, without using ebuilds -
24 see below.
25
26 > As said above this is good for packages in portage but sucks pretty
27 > badly when you want to compile something manually.
28 >
29 > Perhaps we can solve this by making symlink from /usr/include/kde ->
30 > /usr/include/kde-$V (not sure of how kde installs its headers).
31 > This does however mean that all kde-$V ebuilds has to make this symlink
32 > and the one that is emerged last will be the one that is used (and if
33 > you unmerge it no link will be there which isn't a good scheme).
34 No, it's much simpler - just export the right KDEDIR env var and the kde
35 app's configure script will use $KDEDIR/include before anything in any path.
38 > But as said, if it is possible to add them all to LDPATH (and it finds
39 > the correct lib to link) it should be possible to install them all in
40 > /usr/lib (ie. they have different version-numbers)?
41 No, see above.
42
43 > How do other distros solve this?
44 AFAIK no distro has a working multi-qt/kde scheme that allows free use of any
45 combination of KDEs. We'll be the first :-)
46 Of course, this may be wrong, as I have little expirience with other distros,
47 and in the three or four I've tried I didn't look at this too much because it
48 was pre-kde3 time.
52 Dan Armak
53 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
54 Matan, Israel