From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: "Gentoo Dev." <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple kdelibs
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:39:10
1 mån 2001-10-22 klockan 23.10 skrev Dan Armak:
2 > On Monday 22 October 2001 22:40, you wrote:
3 > > Hmm .. if this is possible, putting all libs in /usr/lib should be too.
4 > Let's put it this way: AFAIK it's possible and probably, just as it worked
5 > with qt. I haven't tested it yet (will in the next 2 days), but am confident
6 > it'll work. The libs cannot be placed in one dir because they have the same
7 > names, but ld knows how to select the right one at run time, or rather the
8 > first one that works.
9
10 Hmm, anyone knows how ld does this?
11
12 > Of course, there's nothing to say that one of the kdes installed shouldn't
13 > live in /usr and the others in /opt/kde$V, but it'd be difficult to selecvt
14 > via ebuilds where to install in that case. Another disadvantage of /usr is
15 > that it tends to get into paths and mix things up, whereas /opt/* isn't in
16 > any path unless I put it there.
17
18 Err, they shouldn't live in /opt/kde$V at all, they should live in
19 /usr/lib/kde$V or whatever, but not in /opt according to the scheme we
20 (Gentoo developers) have decided to use.
21
22 > No, it's much simpler - just export the right KDEDIR env var and the kde
23 > app's configure script will use $KDEDIR/include before anything in any path.
24
25 Ok, good.
26
27 > > How do other distros solve this?
28 > AFAIK no distro has a working multi-qt/kde scheme that allows free use of any
29 > combination of KDEs. We'll be the first :-)
30 > Of course, this may be wrong, as I have little expirience with other distros,
31 > and in the three or four I've tried I didn't look at this too much because it
32 > was pre-kde3 time.
33
34 This was meant as a, please look at other distros before spending even
35 more time on this issue. Perhaps they have come up with a good scheme.
36 And if they hasn't people seem to be pretty happy with it anyway so
37 perhaps it's not really needed.
38
39 >From what it looks like you have spent far to many hours on this issue
40 that could have been put on better things.
41
42 Regards,
43 Mikael Hallendal
47 Mikael Hallendal
48 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
49 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden