From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:58:47
1 On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Thomas D. <whissi@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Thomas D. <whissi@××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Also, I cannot belief that I cannot overwrite
5 >>> "/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules" via "/etc/udev/rules.d"...
6 >>
7 >> I don't see why not - from the news item:
8 >> So, to clarify, you can override the new .rules file or the .link file in /etc
9 >> but using the kernel parameter is the most consistent way.
10 >
11 > Maybe I am wrong, but when talking about kernel parameter we are talking
12 > only about
13 >
14 > net.ifnames=
15 >
16 > right?
17 >
18 > So with this parameter we can only disable the new naming, right?
19
20 Correct.
23 > My fear is that all my routers and servers with multiple interfaces
24 > won't come up anymore after the upgrade because they don't have my
25 > custom names anymore because due to the new rule, udev didn't or failed
26 > to rename...
27
28 The rule is called 80-net-setup-link.rules, so stick a file called
29 that in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and you should be able to do anything you
30 want.
31
32 Again, I haven't studied this in detail, but unless somebody has
33 changed something fundamental in how udev works that is the answer.
34
35 > Have you read documentation? It is not about locations at all... my
36 > problem is that it seems like that I have to use a new syntax from
37 > systemd-udev when doing something in "/etc/systemd" but as said: I am
38 > using sys-fs/udev, I don't care about systemd... why should I learn
39 > systemd when I am only using udev?
40
41 I haven't read the documentation, but I gather from the news item that
42 a udev rules script is reading settings from a config file. If you
43 want to use the fancy new magic config file, then obviously you need
44 to use whatever syntax it operates under. If you just want to replace
45 the udev rule, then I'd think that you could do that basically the
46 same way you've always done it, unless the actual syntax of the rules
47 is changing (which I suspect is unlikely).
48
49 > Polynomical-C doesn't uses much patches... no, the magic is in the
50 > ebuild. Upstream still supports the "old" usage... it is the Gentoo
51 > ebuild which turns the package into systemd-udev...
52
53 Bottom line is that upstream is doing it one way, and we have various
54 people who want udev to behave differently in Gentoo. Take your pick,
55 nobody is preventing polynomial-c from sticking his version in the
56 main tree, and eudev is already there.
57
58 Apparently there is an expectation that other packages may expect the
59 file to be in the place upstream installs it. If that is the case
60 then anybody wanting to use those packages would probably want to keep
61 the files where upstream places them. However, I imagine that this
62 will end up being a concern more for systemd and perhaps other
63 packages that require it (Gnome, etc).
64
65 > And that's what I meant when I said "give something 'back'": It should
66 > be possible to create an ebuild for systemd and non-systemd users. Yes,
67 > more maintenance is needed. But taking a package which was working fine
68 > for non-systemd users and transform it into a systemd package isn't nice
69 > and fair.
70
71 I understand the frustration, but this really just reflects what
72 upstream is doing. The old behavior has been forked back into
73 packages like eudev, or polynomial-c's overlay. There is nothing
74 wrong with using those packages, though it might cause issues if you
75 use anything else which expects the new behavior out of udev. The
76 trend is towards more vertical integration, so that might be more of a
77 problem than it has been in the past.
78
79 If the systemd folks had forked udev and called it something else I
80 doubt there would be any complaining at all. Instead the upstream
81 udev took off in a different direction. I know I've heard the word
82 "takeover" used, but my understanding is that this isn't really what
83 happened. Like Gnome the team (or whatever was left of it) just
84 decided to move in a different direction. To them this stuff isn't
85 controversial, and they don't feel like they have to give anything
86 back, since they're the ones who gave it all in the first place.
87
88 Rich