From: "Thomas D." <whissi@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:26:11
1 Hi,
2
3 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Thomas D. <whissi@××××××.de> wrote:
5 >> Also, I cannot belief that I cannot overwrite
6 >> "/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules" via "/etc/udev/rules.d"...
7 >
8 > I don't see why not - from the news item:
9 > So, to clarify, you can override the new .rules file or the .link file in /etc
10 > but using the kernel parameter is the most consistent way.
11
12 Maybe I am wrong, but when talking about kernel parameter we are talking
13 only about
14
15 net.ifnames=
16
17 right?
18
19 So with this parameter we can only disable the new naming, right?
20
21 But as said, I am using udev to name my interfaces -- the new kernel
22 naming isn't my problem. I don't understand how this should help me.
23
24 My fear is that all my routers and servers with multiple interfaces
25 won't come up anymore after the upgrade because they don't have my
26 custom names anymore because due to the new rule, udev didn't or failed
27 to rename...
30 >> Don't get me wrong. Yes, I don't use systemd and I am a happy OpenRC
31 >> user but I have no problems with systemd (as long as it doesn't affects
32 >> me). But this upgrade seems to affect non-systemd users.
35 > The only thing that changed is the location where a config setting is
36 > stored. Nobody has to use systemd as a sysvinit replacement.
37
38 Have you read documentation? It is not about locations at all... my
39 problem is that it seems like that I have to use a new syntax from
40 systemd-udev when doing something in "/etc/systemd" but as said: I am
41 using sys-fs/udev, I don't care about systemd... why should I learn
42 systemd when I am only using udev?
45 >> Wasn't Gentoo about choices?
46 >
47 > Well, we generally don't give users a choice in where config files are
48 > installed.
49
50 No, not locations. My choice was not to use systemd. Now a package,
51 sys-fs/udev, turns into systemd-udev...
52
53 Also: If it wouldn't be possible to keep sys-fs/udev as it was I
54 wouldn't bother that much. But as said, Lars (Polynomial-C) showed us
55 that we don't need to turn sys-fs/udev into systemd-udev...
56
57 So I am asking why we are doing that for people who don't use systemd?
58
59 Polynomical-C doesn't uses much patches... no, the magic is in the
60 ebuild. Upstream still supports the "old" usage... it is the Gentoo
61 ebuild which turns the package into systemd-udev...
62
63 And that's what I meant when I said "give something 'back'": It should
64 be possible to create an ebuild for systemd and non-systemd users. Yes,
65 more maintenance is needed. But taking a package which was working fine
66 for non-systemd users and transform it into a systemd package isn't nice
67 and fair.
68
69 You get my point?
72 -Thomas