From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:34:53
1 On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Thomas D. <whissi@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Also, I cannot belief that I cannot overwrite
3 > "/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules" via "/etc/udev/rules.d"...
4
5 I don't see why not - from the news item:
6 So, to clarify, you can override the new .rules file or the .link file in /etc
7 but using the kernel parameter is the most consistent way.
8
9 > Don't get me wrong. Yes, I don't use systemd and I am a happy OpenRC
10 > user but I have no problems with systemd (as long as it doesn't affects
11 > me). But this upgrade seems to affect non-systemd users.
14 The only thing that changed is the location where a config setting is
15 stored. Nobody has to use systemd as a sysvinit replacement.
16
17 > Wasn't Gentoo about choices?
18
19 Well, we generally don't give users a choice in where config files are
20 installed.
21
22 > Now it seems like it is time to give something "back", => make sure a
23 > change required for systemd doesn't hurt non-systemd users.
24
25 Not really sure how you're defining "hurt" here. Whether you use
26 systemd or not udev moved a config file. This sort of thing happens
27 on occasion in many packages (one of these days I need to clean out
28 /etc/apache2 as I can never remember which files are actually
29 sourced). Sure, it is annoying and should be avoided when practical,
30 but I don't think it makes sense to deviate from what upstream is
31 doing here.
32
33 I haven't looked into the details as to why a config file is stored in
34 /lib/systemd, but I imagine that they're trying to store settings in
35 one place and have them applied to multiple executables (though
36 obviously by overriding the rule you could change this). That isn't a
37 bad goal.
38
39 Rich