From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ban package.provided in next EAPI?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 23:36:34
1 On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > package.provided is listed in PMS as "strongly deprecated" and
3 > "optional" since a long time. Does anybody still need the file as part
4 > of a profile, or could we finally ban it in the next EAPI?
5 >
6 > (This is _not_ about package.provided in /etc/portage which is Portage
7 > only and unspecified by PMS.)
10 I believe that Portage does not support package.provided in
11 /etc/portage. It does support it in /etc/portage/profile, which
12 overrides profile stuff from /etc/portage/make.profile.
13
14 I would like to see portage support package.provided independent of
15 profiles if that's going to get banned in some future EAPI.