From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Migrate to Phabricator
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 13:10:20
1 On 18 April 2016 at 23:44, Jonas Jelten <jj@××××××.net> wrote:
2 > especially to dump bugzilla.
3
4 Dumping bugzilla at this time would be a regression really. "Lets just
5 discard millions of bugs and their history and important context" is
6 not really an option for a web accessible opensource project with lots
7 of inbound links, some of which are stashed in git commit messages,
8 and are essentially unfixable.
9
10 > It provides a tightly coupled set of project management tools. https://phacility.com/phabricator/
11
12 I tend to find "tightly coupled" a synonym for "fragile" and "Inflexible".
13
14 If there was a way for somebody to informally set up a phabricator
15 instance in a non-committal manner
16 that could be used merely for review purposes, that'd be nice.
17
18 But "lets change to this cool new thing because its cool" is something
19 that doesn't resonate with me.
20
21 To 'Change' It has to be _proven_ useful for our usecases, and
22 _proven_ to be _better_ than what we have, not dubious, tenuous and
23 relatively unknown.
24
25 I'd want to be personally comfortable with using it before I ever
26 voted in favour of gentoo changing to it.
27
28 And I'd expect all other devs to require that same high standard.
29
30 Also: I Hold defacto reservations about anything written in PHP, due
31 to both personal history with PHP, and the significant number of PHP
32 projects with both atrocious code and glaring security defects.
33
34 So I would want to be sure that not only is it better than what we
35 have, but it is _at least_ as secure as what we have, and I'd want to
36 be assured that the development team of Phabricator are competent and
37 its not just yet-another-fly-by-night product.
40 > Migrating would contradict the apparent goal of integrating github more tightly,
41
42 I have no idea where this "apparent goal" came from: "tight" github
43 integration is not and has never been "on the table".
44
45 Github is purely a voluntary auxiliary process intended to allow
46 people to augment their workflow in semi-useful ways, and then, some
47 of the things github provides is harmful ( Githubs inability to handle
48 rebased pulls makes people do horrible long merge commits )
49
50 Its been repeatedly stated that Github must never be "Relied upon" in
51 a mandatory way, because it is inherently proprietary and usurps all
52 the authority that Gentoo infra have, and puts the Gentoo organisation
53 at Githubs mercy, and this would be entirely unconscionable as the
54 "only pathway".
57 Kent
58
59 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL