From: Gareth John <gdjohn@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: mark-gt@×××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenLDAP user authentication / autofs integration
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:36:58
1 >> I've recently got my Gentoo systems authenticating users/automount'ing
2 >> home directories with all of the directory information coming from my
3 >> openldap server :)
4 >>
5 >> What I would like to do is get al of my hard work into the relevant
6 >> ebuilds now. I've a query though regarding USE variables. The "ldap"
7 >> use variable seems a little overloaded in it's scope - it can be used
8 >> for everything from adding ldap address book support in email clients,
9 >> to providing ldap user authentication (with a little extra work...).
10 >>
11 >> I realise that USE variables could quickly become unmanageable if
12 >> loads were added, but it would be nice if there were a way to specify,
13 >> for example, what sort of authentication you wanted to use (a la
14 >> RedHat and others I imagine) and have it work out of the box (or, if
15 >> you will, source).
16 >>
17 >> For things like ldap, I would suggest maybe ldap_client and ldap_auth
18 >> USE variables. Is this a bad suggestion...?
21 > Hrm...I'd say maybe just add ldap_auth. That way, existing builds won't
22 > break, and people won't have to add additional flags to their USE
23 > variable (ldap_client) unless they want this new functionality.
24
25 The ldap_auth flag would make more sense in this respect. Thinking about
26 it a little more though, I'm not so sure I was thinking straight anyway.
27 Authentication should be handled by PAM, and so the back end should be
28 transparent to any applications.
29
30 I guess what I would really like is to be able to do:
31
32 emerge ldap_auth
33
34 and have it emerge openldap, pam_ldap and nss_ldap.
35
36 Additionally, the ebuild will provide a convenient
37 -
38 "If you want to set up an LDAP directory for user authentication, run this
39 command:
40
41 ebuild /usr/portage/net-misc/ldap_auth/ldap_auth.ebuild setup_ldap_user_auth
42 -
43
44 or something like that. This command could then create the LDAP directory
45 entries. Ideally, I can knock up some scripts like ldap_useradd,
46 ldap_userdel, etc. to mimic their non-ldap counterparts functionality.
47
48 How does this sound?
49
50 Cheers,