From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:02:11
1 On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> Thus, not adding it to @system in no way means it's not considered
4 >> mandatory for a normal install, it just means the ultimate goal is to
5 >> have all the deps specified and nothing left in @system, and while
6 >> progress isn't fast by a long shot, the first thing is to ensure we're
7 >> not regressing!
10 > If the ultimate goal is to eliminate @system entirely (which it
11 > probably isn't), we will need to revisit the way stage building works.
12 > If understand correctly, a stage3 contains @system and its
13 > dependencies.
14
15 The goal would be to eliminate @system entirely.
16
17 The solution to stage3 would be to have a set like @system of default
18 starting packages. It might even be a defined set that users could
19 make use of (emerge @default), but ebuilds could not assume that they
20 are present.
21
22 To build them you just start with a working Gentoo system and emerge them.
25 > The smallest you can really make @system under that circumstance would
26 > be a working toolchain and the utilities necessary to build any other
27 > needed packages. I think that is the goal that most people have been
28 > shooting for lately.
29
30 Nobody is suggesting that a system containing no packages whatsoever
31 should be bootable, let alone usable to bootstrap everything else.
32 There would be some minimal set of packages needed to bootstrap the
33 rest. However, ebuilds would need to explicitly declare their need
34 for them rather than assuming they are present. Virtuals could be
35 used to simplify this.
36
37 In fact, there is a simple way to transition to such a system. Start
38 by defining a virtual that contains everything that is in @system
39 (setting aside the issue that this is profile-dependent), and adding
40 that as a DEPEND and RDEPEND to every ebuild. Then start paring it
41 down per-ebuild.
42
43 The goal is not to have working Gentoo systems that contain nothing on
44 their hard drives, but rather to eliminate the arbitrary collection of
45 packages that must be present everywhere, because some software that
46 might or might not even be installed could need them.
47
48 Rich