From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:46:15
1 On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 15:32 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:56:35PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 05:01 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
4 > > Basically, you've taken then 2005.1 profile and made it useless, since
5 > > the stages weren't built against it anyway.
6
7 > Via that logic (don't change it lest it negates a release), we would
8 > never be able to do changes, or would be forced to do changes strictly
9 > whenever y'all are doing a new release.
10
11 Not exactly.
12
13 I tend to agree with you that the base arch profiles should be a fairly
14 minimal set of defaults, but also, default-linux has always been tied to
15 releases, as much as possible. The point is that we really should *not*
16 be making changes without media that matches it. Take the recent "eds
17 gstreamer" thread as a good example.
18
19 People expect a release to have changes. They don't expect, and don't
20 *want* their system to change underneath them.
21
22 If I had my way, there wouldn't ever be changes made to any of the
23 profiles, including the arch profiles, unless absolutely necessary, and
24 all changes would go into versioned (or named and versioned, or just
25 named, etc) sub-profiles. The only thing that has kept us from doing
26 this already is the lack of multiple inheritance.
27
28 > Profiles aren't bound to the releases, despite how people may view it
29 > and/or the current profile maitnainer's usage of 'em.
30
31 No, they are not. I never said that they were, either.
32
33 That being said, it ends up being the release team that ends up getting
34 the bugs for the profiles. While there are a small number of developers
35 that will change profiles under default-linux, it is more often than not
36 left up to each arch's release coordinator. There are also non-release
37 profiles on a few arches.
38
39 There's nothing stopping you from creating a default-linux/x86/ferringb
40 profile and doing whatever you wish in it, but editing
41 default-linux/x86/2005.1 without speaking with releng would be
42 considered taboo.
43
44 > > My point is pretty simple,
45 > > why should we spend a bunch of time maintaining something that is
46 > > designed from the start to be customized, and most likely won't even be
47 > > used anyway?
48 > That's the issue; the profiles in their current form are customizable
49 > only in the ability to negate a collection of flags.
50 > Negating the whole beast is another story due to the desktop cruft
51 > being shoved into the arch subprofiles.
52
53 Sorry, but this didn't make a bit of sense to me. Perhaps you could
54 reword it?
55
56 > > I would much rather stick with the "2005.1" profile
57 > > meaning "what we used to build 2005.1" than having it mean "some
58 > > variation of 2005.1 is below here and using this profile is minimal and
59 > > likely won't do what you expect".
60 > Again, releases may be bound by available profiles, but available profiles
61 > are not bound by available releases.
62
63 Nobody ever said that profiles were bound to releases. I said that the
64 versioned profile should match the release it was used to build and
65 nothing more. Please don't insert meaning into what I say.
66
67 > Aside from that, the comments about variations/minimal/not doing what
68 > you expect, what do you think USE="-* user's actual desired flags"
69 > accomplishes?
70
71 It accomplishes exactly what I think it does. It turns off all
72 automatically-enabled USE flags. I use it personally, because I run
73 with a much smaller set of USE flags and I don't want things being
74 changed without my knowledge. That being said, I also understand that
75 this means I need to spend some time maintaining my systems and checking
76 for the inclusion of new flags when I merge packages or do upgrades.
77
78 > Profile customization occurs, /etc/portage/profiles exists for this
79 > reason; the 2005.1 profile (fex) is probably *rarely* ran exactly as
80 > y'all have it specified considering we do have user level use flags,
81 > tweaking the hell out of '05.1.
82
83 You would be surprised at the number of people that use GRP and rarely,
84 if ever, change their USE flags. I wish I had numbers, but I don't.
85
86 Anyway, the default set of USE flags seems to be a pretty perfect mix
87 for most people. It gives packages that work as expected, and is geared
88 toward a desktop system. Without any more specific examples of what
89 you're trying to point out, I'm just not seeing it.
90
91 > Aside from mild disagreement on views, as was stated in previous
92 > emails, multiple inheritance I tend to think is required to minimize
93 > the work for y'all; what I want you guys to do (or I'll do myself) is
94 > chunk the suckers up so people after a minimal base for running
95 > it themselves, or building up their own subprofile can do so. Not
96 > after jamming maintenance nightmares on you, which without multiple
97 > inheritance, might be a bit.
98
99 I know that I won't be spending *my* time making any profile other than
100 the defaults used for building the release. Anyone is welcome to build
101 profiles for anything else that they might want, but since the release
102 team doesn't use it, we shouldn't be forced to waste our time on it.
105 Chris Gianelloni
107 Games - Developer
108 Gentoo Linux