From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:35:26
1 On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:56:35PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 05:01 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > Basically, you've taken then 2005.1 profile and made it useless, since
4 > the stages weren't built against it anyway.
5 Via that logic (don't change it lest it negates a release), we would
6 never be able to do changes, or would be forced to do changes strictly
7 whenever y'all are doing a new release.
8
9 Profiles aren't bound to the releases, despite how people may view it
10 and/or the current profile maitnainer's usage of 'em.
11
12 > My point is pretty simple,
13 > why should we spend a bunch of time maintaining something that is
14 > designed from the start to be customized, and most likely won't even be
15 > used anyway?
16 That's the issue; the profiles in their current form are customizable
17 only in the ability to negate a collection of flags.
18 Negating the whole beast is another story due to the desktop cruft
19 being shoved into the arch subprofiles.
20
21 > I would much rather stick with the "2005.1" profile
22 > meaning "what we used to build 2005.1" than having it mean "some
23 > variation of 2005.1 is below here and using this profile is minimal and
24 > likely won't do what you expect".
25 Again, releases may be bound by available profiles, but available profiles
26 are not bound by available releases.
27
28 Aside from that, the comments about variations/minimal/not doing what
29 you expect, what do you think USE="-* user's actual desired flags"
30 accomplishes?
31
32 Profile customization occurs, /etc/portage/profiles exists for this
33 reason; the 2005.1 profile (fex) is probably *rarely* ran exactly as
34 y'all have it specified considering we do have user level use flags,
35 tweaking the hell out of '05.1.
36
37 Aside from mild disagreement on views, as was stated in previous
38 emails, multiple inheritance I tend to think is required to minimize
39 the work for y'all; what I want you guys to do (or I'll do myself) is
40 chunk the suckers up so people after a minimal base for running
41 it themselves, or building up their own subprofile can do so. Not
42 after jamming maintenance nightmares on you, which without multiple
43 inheritance, might be a bit.
44
45 ~harring