From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab]
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:50:57
1 On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 00:22, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:41:04PM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 03:12, Greg KH wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 08:04:25PM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
5 > > > > If you settle for reiser4 or such fs one could store all settings as
6 > > > > single files in a tree much like /proc/sys this tree could then be
7 > > > > exposed as an xml or other format for backward compatibility through
8 > > > > filsystem plugins...
9 > > >
10 > > > And you want to reinvent gconf for what reason? :)
11 > > > greg k-h
12 > >
13 > > http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~mine0057/fs.pdf
14 >
15 > Heh, my main point is that reiser4 is not here today, will not be here
16 > tomorrow, and will not be in wide use next month. Next year it will
17 > only have a very small installed base, if any.
18 >
19 If you liked that one you might likte to read this too:
20
21 http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/9/172159/7912
22
23 or
24
25 http://www.xs4all.nl/~evbergen/configuration-data.html
26
27 > You need to do something fs independant, much like gconf does :)
28
29 Depending on how you define fs, gconf is not fs independent, gconf is a
30 fs. I agree though that you should not have to depend on reiser4 to
31 configure the system, mabey the needed functionality could be "emulated"
32 in (or above) the VFS layer for other filesystems...
33
34 I realize that this dicussion is merly academic at this point and if
35 people think this is OT please say so, and I will stop polluting the
36 list.
37 Never the less I still belive that the Gentoo project should not be
38 limited because of the "meta distribution" lable. Portage is the meta
39 distribution, Gentoo very much is a distribution.
40
41 ... Mabey what I'm trying to do is more fit for a seperate project from
42 Gentoo.
43
44 Does anyone know of a project trying to create an Operating System with
45 the help of OSS? By that I mean not a distribution of OSS, rather a
46 coherent collection of computer servieces implemented with the help of
47 OSS.
48
49 GNU?
50