From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to end-of-life tree-clean old profiles/updates/ files
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:47:17
1 On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 08:59 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
3 >
4 > > gentoo-x86/profiles/updates $ LANG=C ls -1 --sort=time
5 > > [long list omitted]
6 >
7 > > old entries are done in different context (comparing to 2012):
8 >
9 > > - some packages change names 2 or 3 times
10 > > - slots have different meaning
11 >
12 > > moreover:
13 >
14 > > - if you set your PORTDIR to different directory you'll get all
15 > > that full update. And will break the system. Old profile entries
16 > > used to break eclass-manpages and latex-base (due to double
17 > > renaming)
18 >
19 > It's worse: Bad entries in the old files may go unnoticed for a long
20 > time. But if such a file is updated for whatever reason, it will be
21 > reprocessed on users' systems, including any bad entries contained in
22 > it.
23 >
24 > > Thus the reason for removal is simple: old entries are potentially
25 > > buggy as nobody verifies them.
26 >
27 > I wouldn't even know how to verify them.
28 >
29 > Let's remove that cruft. We can be extra conservative and keep five
30 > years of backlog (i.e. everything from before 2008 would be removed
31 > now).
32 >
33 > Ulrich
36 OK, that seems to be some very good reasons to tree-clean them.
37
38 What's our next step?
39 Tree-cleaners, does this fall into your department?
40 Or should I prepare a list of files and/or updates to clean?
41 --
42 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>