From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to end-of-life tree-clean old profiles/updates/ files
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:00:53
1 >>>>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
2
3 > gentoo-x86/profiles/updates $ LANG=C ls -1 --sort=time
4 > [long list omitted]
5
6 > old entries are done in different context (comparing to 2012):
7
8 > - some packages change names 2 or 3 times
9 > - slots have different meaning
10
11 > moreover:
12
13 > - if you set your PORTDIR to different directory you'll get all
14 > that full update. And will break the system. Old profile entries
15 > used to break eclass-manpages and latex-base (due to double
16 > renaming)
17
18 It's worse: Bad entries in the old files may go unnoticed for a long
19 time. But if such a file is updated for whatever reason, it will be
20 reprocessed on users' systems, including any bad entries contained in
21 it.
22
23 > Thus the reason for removal is simple: old entries are potentially
24 > buggy as nobody verifies them.
25
26 I wouldn't even know how to verify them.
27
28 Let's remove that cruft. We can be extra conservative and keep five
29 years of backlog (i.e. everything from before 2008 would be removed
30 now).
31
32 Ulrich