From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fix binary debug support, part elevenity billion
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:13:40
1 On Tuesday 17 January 2006 10:11, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 1/15/06, Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Why not use the splitdebug instead of nostrip? And make building with -g
4 > > the default, then tell small HD users how to disable it in the docs. And
5 > > it needs to disable -fomit-frame-pointer at least on x86. I've been
6 > > building my whole system with splitdebug and yes it does take a lot of
7 > > space, but its really useful.
8
9 a good idea ...
10
11 > No argument against splitdebug, but my guess is that it would be
12 > useless for 99.97% of users, and would lead to complaints on -user
13 > about how much disk space gentoo consumes compared to <insert least
14 > favorite distribution here>, so it should not be the default.
15
16 ... and we just make it dynamic to get best of both worlds
17
18 if user has splitdebug in FEATURES, then we skip adding nostrip to FEATURES,
19 but if user has -splitdebug in FEATURES, we add nostrip to FEATURES
20 -mike
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list