From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fix binary debug support, part elevenity billion
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:15:03
1 On 1/15/06, Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
2 > Why not use the splitdebug instead of nostrip? And make building with -g
3 > the default, then tell small HD users how to disable it in the docs. And
4 > it needs to disable -fomit-frame-pointer at least on x86. I've been
5 > building my whole system with splitdebug and yes it does take a lot of
6 > space, but its really useful.
7
8 No argument against splitdebug, but my guess is that it would be
9 useless for 99.97% of users, and would lead to complaints on -user
10 about how much disk space gentoo consumes compared to <insert least
11 favorite distribution here>, so it should not be the default.
12
13 -Richard
16 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list