From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD : .ebuild is only bash
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:06:03
1 On 13 March 2012 06:53, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > There are very good reasons not to embed this information in the
4 > filename. That it makes the filename harder to parse for the human eye
5 > and more difficult to type is one of them.
6 >
7 > Besides, we already have a council decision about that GLEP.
8
9 Difficulty in typing them is not really much of an argument,
10 considering the present complexity with file-names already having
11 versions encoded in them.
12
13 And difficulty reading them isn't much of an argument really either.
14
15 But difficulty identifying the format systematically seems a
16 reasonable enough objection, and for this, I can see the translation
17 of
18
19 abz-123.ebuild-5 to -> abz-123.eapi5.eb
20
21 Being a more practical change ( or something of that nature ).
22
23 At least that way, its easier to have a way to find "all ebuilds"
24 without needing extension permutation.
25
26 Another thought: Presently we have versions encoded in the file name.
27 If we ever decide we need to change our versioning syntax or
28 versioning semantics, we might be up the creek without a paddle, and
29 EAPI being *in* the file will probably make that harder, and I'd
30 probably prefer some sort of out-of-band location for EAPI in that
31 situation too.
34 Kent
35
36 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,