From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 01:26:46
1 On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:19 PM, kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/20/2018 08:08 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >> Actually, I think it is more of a technical constraint. It is
6 >> basically impossible to blacklist somebody on a mailing list, since
7 >> all they need to do is roll up a new email address.
8 >>
9 >> I can think of various arguments for whitelisting or not whitelisting,
10 >> but it seems silly to blacklist.
13 > require active stewardship (moderation, blacklisting, etc.)
14 >
15 > entry barriers to participation (default deny / require whitelist)
16 >
17 > if there are limitations on free speech, someone has to bear the burden.
18 > for gentoo to have list moderation (blacklist approach) which isn't
19 > dysfunctional, the main barrier to resources will be the human resources
20 > end of things, not technical constraints. The tools themselves are easy
21 > enough to use, but people who are willing and able to use them, and with
22 > a clear guideline for how it needs done is a comrel issue which the
23 > foundation needs to sort out.
26 List moderation isn't the same as blacklisting. With moderation
27 you're effectively whitelisting because the first post anybody makes
28 would be held for moderation, and depending on the approach you could
29 moderate everything.
30
31 If you allowed new subscribers to post without being held for
32 moderation, then the issues I spoke of would still apply, no matter
33 how much manpower you threw at it.
36 Rich