From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 02:38:41
1 On 03/26/2018 09:26 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:19 PM, kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 03/20/2018 08:08 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>
6 >>> Actually, I think it is more of a technical constraint. It is
7 >>> basically impossible to blacklist somebody on a mailing list, since
8 >>> all they need to do is roll up a new email address.
9 >>>
10 >>> I can think of various arguments for whitelisting or not whitelisting,
11 >>> but it seems silly to blacklist.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> require active stewardship (moderation, blacklisting, etc.)
15 >>
16 >> entry barriers to participation (default deny / require whitelist)
17 >>
18 >> if there are limitations on free speech, someone has to bear the burden.
19 >> for gentoo to have list moderation (blacklist approach) which isn't
20 >> dysfunctional, the main barrier to resources will be the human resources
21 >> end of things, not technical constraints. The tools themselves are easy
22 >> enough to use, but people who are willing and able to use them, and with
23 >> a clear guideline for how it needs done is a comrel issue which the
24 >> foundation needs to sort out.
27 > List moderation isn't the same as blacklisting. With moderation
28 > you're effectively whitelisting because the first post anybody makes
29 > would be held for moderation, and depending on the approach you could
30 > moderate everything.
31 >
32 > If you allowed new subscribers to post without being held for
33 > moderation, then the issues I spoke of would still apply, no matter
34 > how much manpower you threw at it.
37 I think this may be a misunderstanding? no? there might be some mailing
38 list jargon term: "moderation" which I was unaware of:
39
40 I was more referring to how IRC chatrooms have an op, forums have
41 moderators which DO NOT screen individual posts, etc. I think I know of
42 the other version, and it might be analogous to the mechanism you meant?
43
44 for example: websites which hold back all comments which are posted
45 anonymously (non-trusted users) until a moderator can approve it.
46
47 I've never used mailing list software which has that feature (I think
48 that may be what you're referring to) - I mostly meant someone (or a
49 team) with the specific duty to hold people accountable for their posts
50 (since the list is public-facing, this should include @gentoo.org devs
51 too because it sets a weird precedent to have disparate enforcement)
52
53 specifically - I was referring to persons (staff) who are moderators.
54
55 (active stewardship to check for problems which need addressed)
56
57 I think the mechanism you describes sounds like some sort of greylist /
58 tiered version of default deny or something like that. Interesting.
59
60 the "require whitelist / default deny" version of having a closed list
61 seems the same - expecting users to contact a dev to relay messages, or
62 go through the dubiously [un]documented process of getting whitelisted.
63
64 unless that process has a standardized format, it seems worse than the
65 greylist because individual developers have the autonomy to [not]
66 sponsor people for whitelist, or approve posting on a user's behalf. the
67 lack of transparency for the process is a concern, I mean.