From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: 0-day bump requests
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 01:59:31
1 I'd like to add a few words from the users perspective:
2
3 > -----
4 > 1) How do you feel when you receive an early version bump request?
5
6 I hope developers are not annoyed - well, sometimes the words chosen are
7 maybe a bit too offensive.
8
9 I like these bump requests. I add myself as a CC and wait for some email
10 in my inbox saying "it's in the tree" like most devs like to express it.
11 Unfortunatly, i still have to wait half on hour, until the ebuild is
12 available in the mirrors.
15 Here's my little theory why there are these 0-day bump requests:
16
17 Gentoo Maintainers seem to be very different. There are packages (opera
18 for example) where we're offered the latest of the latest (even betas
19 and pre-releases and stuff), and new versions are in portage before
20 you've read the news on your favourite news-site.
21 And on the other hand, there are packages like filezilla (to just name
22 an example) where it took ages to get a new version. In addition,
23 filezilla is one of the softwares that shouts at you: "there is a new
24 version of me available. get it now!"
25 And on the third hand (damn, humans only have two) there are important
26 releases like pidgin 2.4.3 which has fixed the ICQ login issue. You saw
27 the bump-request coming, didn't you?
28
29 > 2) If you had your way, would you discourage users from filing early
30 > version bump requests?
32
33 Oh please don't discourage bump-requests, even if they are 0-day. I like
34 them because I CC to them.
37 Regards,
38 Sven
41 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list