From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: 0-day bump requests
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:16:17
1 Hi fellow developers,
4 it seems I've run into a minor issue with fellow bug wrangler carlo
5 (who has been putting a lot of work into that, for which we should all
6 be grateful).
7
8 Carsten has a cut-and-paste message that he posts in comments to
9 version bump bug reports that he finds have been filed on the day the
10 software version in question was released/announced. The gist of the
11 message is that none of or most ebuild developers do not like these
12 "0-day requests" and that users (and developers) should refrain from
13 filing them on the same day. Waiting a week would be OK, the message
14 seems to say.
15
16 Being an ebuild developer myself, I have to say that I do not hold that
17 stance and that I welcome early version bump requests. Therefore, I
18 refrain from adding such messages to the bugs that I wrangle and indeed
19 welcome any bump requests[1].
20
21 Finding myself in conflict with someone I have come to share a certain
22 workload with, notably someone who has a few more years of Gentoo
23 experience, I wonder what the majority of our ebuild developers
24 actually think. In that spirit, I hope the following questions are
25 neutral enough for everyone to *not* start a flamewar over this. :)
28 -----
29 1) How do you feel when you receive an early version bump request?
32 2) If you had your way, would you discourage users from filing early
33 version bump requests?
36 -----
37
38 I know, it's not a particularly good survey, but I hope the plenty and
39 diversity of your answers will shed more light on the matter. :)
42 Thank you and kind regards,
43 JeR
46 [1] In fact I regularly use the opportunity to check on the HOMEPAGE
47 whether the release was security related, and I assign directly to
48 security@ when that is the case (CC'ing the package's maintainers) and
49 perhaps pasting ChangeLog or advisory info in a comment.
50 --
51 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list