From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: 0-day bump requests
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:13:58
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 01:16:09 +0200
5 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Hi fellow developers,
10 > it seems I've run into a minor issue with fellow bug wrangler carlo
11 > (who has been putting a lot of work into that, for which we should all
12 > be grateful).
13 >
14 > Carsten has a cut-and-paste message that he posts in comments to
15 > version bump bug reports that he finds have been filed on the day the
16 > software version in question was released/announced. The gist of the
17 > message is that none of or most ebuild developers do not like these
18 > "0-day requests" and that users (and developers) should refrain from
19 > filing them on the same day. Waiting a week would be OK, the message
20 > seems to say.
21 >
22 > Being an ebuild developer myself, I have to say that I do not hold that
23 > stance and that I welcome early version bump requests. Therefore, I
24 > refrain from adding such messages to the bugs that I wrangle and indeed
25 > welcome any bump requests[1].
26 >
27 > Finding myself in conflict with someone I have come to share a certain
28 > workload with, notably someone who has a few more years of Gentoo
29 > experience, I wonder what the majority of our ebuild developers
30 > actually think. In that spirit, I hope the following questions are
31 > neutral enough for everyone to *not* start a flamewar over this. :)
34 > -----
35 > 1) How do you feel when you receive an early version bump request?
36 >
37 Speaking only for myself as an arch developer.
38
39 It depends on the reason. For example, recently there was a day 0
40 request for a freetype (I believe) stable request because current
41 stable didn't work is some such. That sort of thing is OK. Obviously
42 security bugs require quick processing. New keyword/re-keyword
43 requests are OK (but then of course we don't go stable).
44
45 Otherwise, we will put the package into the normal cycle whenever it
46 enters the tree.
49 > 2) If you had your way, would you discourage users from filing early
50 > version bump requests?
53 Makes no difference to me, but I am not a package maintainer. I am
54 speaking from an arch point of view. We only ask that the package
55 maintainer make sure it at least seems to work before they bump the
56 version.
57
58 (It's different when the new version is not compatible with the current
59 version, but that's off topic for this thread, I think. I don't ever
60 want to see that sort of thing.)
61
62 > -----
63 >
64 > I know, it's not a particularly good survey, but I hope the plenty and
65 > diversity of your answers will shed more light on the matter. :)
68 > Thank you and kind regards,
69 > JeR
72 > [1] In fact I regularly use the opportunity to check on the HOMEPAGE
73 > whether the release was security related, and I assign directly to
74 > security@ when that is the case (CC'ing the package's maintainers) and
75 > perhaps pasting ChangeLog or advisory info in a comment.
76 > --
77 > gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list
80 I doubt that this addresses what you are asking, but in case it is
81 useful,
82 Regards,
83 Ferris
84 - --
85 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
86 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel, Userrel, Trustees)