From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: 0-day bump requests
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:10:32
1 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > 1) How do you feel when you receive an early version bump request?
3
4 I think any version bump request at any time is worthwhile. The earlier
5 the better!
6
7 > 2) If you had your way, would you discourage users from filing early
8 > version bump requests?
9
10 No. And I honestly don't understand other devs' reluctance for 0-day
11 bug requests. Maybe I just don't have enough packages to be annoyed by
12 the bug-spam, or maybe I'm just too lazy to check upstream's sites all
13 day long, but I like to know that people are excited about the packages
14 I maintain.
15
16 Here's an interesting solution for those who find it annoying though:
17 Just file your own 0-day bump request in bugzilla. In theory some users
18 would find this and just CC themselves on it. Other users could be
19 shushed with the shame of the DUPLICATE. Everyone wins!
20
21 If someone had huge amounts of time, having a special bugzilla
22 interface to show current, pending, and requested versions of each
23 package (Sort of like an interactive packages.g.o?) may be a neat
24 project... maybe next year's GSOC?
25
26 P.S. Sorry about the lateness of the post - My ISP's comcastic smtp
27 server decided it wasn't going to work all weekend long.
30 Jim Ramsay
31 Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm)