From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed changes to base profile for Gentoo/ALT
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:27:44
1 On Wednesday 02 November 2005 15:38, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > > -*app-arch/tar
3 > put '-*app-arch/tar' into your packages
4 I'm still thinking for the eselect-able tar command and virtual/tar, as long
5 as they are syntax-compatible (bsdtar and gnutar are compatible).
6
7 > > -*sys-process/procps
8 > err, this isnt linux specific ... it is ported to other systems (like
9 > FreeBSD)
10 FreeBSD provide its own ways for these commands, and it will collides with
11 base system commands. Also, the FreeBSD versions uses libkvm to get data and
12 are usually faster/safer.
13
14 > > -*sys-apps/shadow
15 > this should be prob turned into a virtual instead
16 I'd say so.
17
18 > > -*sys-apps/which
19 > this isnt linux-specific
20 GNU specific, FreeBSD and NetBSD does not require this, have their own
21 versions. It's not masked, as the newer versions should install as gwhich,
22 but it's also not a requirement.
23
24 > > -*sys-fs/e2fsprogs
25 > this should be prob turned into a virtual instead
26 Not sure about this, as there are packages that uses the library provided by
27 this (not only libcom_err and libss, but the rest), but then it has the base
28 mkfs/fsck utils for base linux system, but not needed by BSD.
29 A virtual might work, yeah.
30
31 > > -*sys-libs/cracklib
32 > we can prob punt this since shadow has a hard dep on it anyways ...
33 Right.
34
35 > > -*virtual/modutils
36 > FreeBSD doesnt support kernel modules ?
37 Not with the same ideas of Linux. There's no "extra" package for this, the
38 commands are in the base system. Yeah we can probably set the PROVIDE and the
39 virtual but... do we *really* need to add the dep on the virtual for every
40 port? I'd think that just Linux has reasons of having this (as other system
41 has no alternatives), so no reason to let the other systems resolve an extra
42 virtual...
45 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
46 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE