From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Master plan for fixing elibtoolize
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 06:53:45
1 On pią, 2017-03-17 at 23:38 +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:14:12 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi, everyone.
6 > >
7 > > Since the bug about libtool.eclass [1] has not received any attention, I
8 > > hereby declare maintainer timeout and start working on improving
9 > > the eclass.
10 > >
11 > > The main goals are to:
12 > >
13 > > a. stop requiring every single autoconf ebuild to call elibtoolize
14 > > manually (and effectively having half-'broken' repository),
15 >
16 > Good! This will help immensely with cross-compiling.
17 >
18 > > 1.1. split the function into new eclass (PATCH already sent),
19 >
20 > The function itself is quite complex. Perhaps this should also go into
21 > a separate package?
22
23 Are you talking about epunt_cxx or elibtoolize now? (this point was
24 about epunt_cxx)
25
26 If the latter, yes, I think it makes sense to split the patching logic
27 into a separate script.
28
29 > > 3. copy elibtoolize logic to Portage, and make it apply implicitly
30 > > on econf [do we need to apply it elsewhere?]; disable explicit
31 > > libtoolize when Portage supports that.
32 >
33 > Related to the above point, if you make it part of econf then it needs
34 > to be part of PMS and that's quite a complex beast to have in the spec.
35 > It has been suggested twice on this list (once quite recently) that the
36 > script itself should put into a separate package for this reason. Then
37 > PMS just needs to say "install and use this script" without any further
38 > detail.
39
40 Strictly speaking, you don't have to have it in the PMS. This can be
41 left purely as Portage extension, much like gnuconfig hacking is right
42 now.
43
44 > Back in September, I tried turning the eclass into an external script
45 > with very few changes to start with, just as a proof of concept. I
46 > removed the few references to other eclass helpers but still retained a
47 > little dependence on variables exported by Portage. I then stuck a call
48 > to this to near the top of econf() and tried out some packages,
49 > including those that had failed on me before. It worked very well
50 > indeed. I don't recall encountering any issues.
51
52 Nice, that was exactly my plan. I'll create a git.g.o repo for this
53 in a few days, and commit the patches there. Would you be interested
54 in working on splitting the script again/updating your stand-alone
55 version?
58 Best regards,
59 Michał Górny