From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Master plan for fixing elibtoolize
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 23:38:56
1 On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:14:12 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi, everyone.
5 >
6 > Since the bug about libtool.eclass [1] has not received any attention, I
7 > hereby declare maintainer timeout and start working on improving
8 > the eclass.
9 >
10 > The main goals are to:
11 >
12 > a. stop requiring every single autoconf ebuild to call elibtoolize
13 > manually (and effectively having half-'broken' repository),
14
15 Good! This will help immensely with cross-compiling.
16
17 > 1.1. split the function into new eclass (PATCH already sent),
18
19 The function itself is quite complex. Perhaps this should also go into
20 a separate package?
21
22 > 3. copy elibtoolize logic to Portage, and make it apply implicitly
23 > on econf [do we need to apply it elsewhere?]; disable explicit
24 > libtoolize when Portage supports that.
25
26 Related to the above point, if you make it part of econf then it needs
27 to be part of PMS and that's quite a complex beast to have in the spec.
28 It has been suggested twice on this list (once quite recently) that the
29 script itself should put into a separate package for this reason. Then
30 PMS just needs to say "install and use this script" without any further
31 detail.
32
33 Back in September, I tried turning the eclass into an external script
34 with very few changes to start with, just as a proof of concept. I
35 removed the few references to other eclass helpers but still retained a
36 little dependence on variables exported by Portage. I then stuck a call
37 to this to near the top of econf() and tried out some packages,
38 including those that had failed on me before. It worked very well
39 indeed. I don't recall encountering any issues.
42 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
43 Gentoo Linux Developer