From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing metadata.xml
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:39:54
1 On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 02:56:49AM -0800, David Shakaryan wrote:
2 > Bryan Østergaard wrote:
3 > >On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:08:12PM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:
4 > >>Hi guys,
5 > >>
6 > >>There are more than a few packages with missing metadata.xml in the
7 > >>portage tree. I've setup my funky little QA website to report on which
8 > >>ones fall in that category, and here is the list right here:
9 > >>
10 > >>http://spaceparanoids.org/gentoo/gpnl/qa.php?q=metadata
11 > >>
12 > >>I've spent the morning fixing up most of them, adding blank metadata.xml
13 > >>to them and assigning maintainer-needed@g.o as the main
14 > >>maintainer, which in hindsight was probably not the best approach (my
15 > >>apologies).
16 > >>
17 > >>Anyway, either way, it would be nice to get the few remaining packages
18 > >>cleaned up, and if one of your packages is on that list, please update
19 > >>or create the metadata.
20 > >>
21 > >>I'll still be going through the rest of them and sorting out which ones
22 > >>were last maintained by a dev that is now retired and continue assigning
23 > >>them to maintainer-needed.
24 > >>
25 > >I think the most important thing about adding "empty" metadata.xml files
26 > >with maintainer-needed as maintainer is that it _changes_ the package to
27 > >be unmaintained by definition (that's what maintainer-needed means after
28 > >all) and that we can't be sure that's actually true unless we spend a
29 > >lot of time examining each package and asking potential maintainers
30 > >if it's unmaintained.
31 >
32 > I see what you mean here, but asking potential maintainers doesn't seem
33 > like too much of a solution, as it would take a lot of time and energy.
34 > In my opinion, if the package is actually maintained, then it shouldn't
35 > be hard for the maintainer to fix the metadata, adding himself as the
36 > maintainer or at least assigning it to a herd.
37 >
38 I completely agree that adding metadata.xml files is easy for the
39 maintainers and should be done. What I'm objecting to is randomly adding
40 metadata.xml files to packages without any idea if the added files are
41 actually correct. If you can't solve the problem properly you should
42 probably stop to think about a proper solution instead of just taking
43 the easy (but quite possible wrong) solution.
44
45 Regards,
46 Bryan Østergaard
47 --