From: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing metadata.xml
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:19:38
1 Bryan Østergaard wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:08:12PM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:
3 >> Hi guys,
4 >>
5 >> There are more than a few packages with missing metadata.xml in the
6 >> portage tree. I've setup my funky little QA website to report on which
7 >> ones fall in that category, and here is the list right here:
8 >>
9 >> http://spaceparanoids.org/gentoo/gpnl/qa.php?q=metadata
10 >>
11 >> I've spent the morning fixing up most of them, adding blank metadata.xml
12 >> to them and assigning maintainer-needed@g.o as the main
13 >> maintainer, which in hindsight was probably not the best approach (my
14 >> apologies).
15 >>
16 >> Anyway, either way, it would be nice to get the few remaining packages
17 >> cleaned up, and if one of your packages is on that list, please update
18 >> or create the metadata.
19 >>
20 >> I'll still be going through the rest of them and sorting out which ones
21 >> were last maintained by a dev that is now retired and continue assigning
22 >> them to maintainer-needed.
23 >>
24 > I think the most important thing about adding "empty" metadata.xml files
25 > with maintainer-needed as maintainer is that it _changes_ the package to
26 > be unmaintained by definition (that's what maintainer-needed means after
27 > all) and that we can't be sure that's actually true unless we spend a
28 > lot of time examining each package and asking potential maintainers
29 > if it's unmaintained.
30
31 I see what you mean here, but asking potential maintainers doesn't seem
32 like too much of a solution, as it would take a lot of time and energy.
33 In my opinion, if the package is actually maintained, then it shouldn't
34 be hard for the maintainer to fix the metadata, adding himself as the
35 maintainer or at least assigning it to a herd.
38 David Shakaryan
39 GnuPG Public Key: 0x4B8FE14B
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list