From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:59:26
1 Fredrik Jagenheim wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:57:14PM +0200, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
3 >
4 >>Well for some ppl now that someone tried to push the GNU/ part onto Gentoo
5 >>it's this kind of "no, not after this" feeling :) This doesn't bring us
6 >>anywhere it's not the users decision anyway.
10 > Oh, but let's make it a users decision. I propose a new flag in USE
11 > that will let the user name the system 'GNU/Linux' or 'Linux' or
12 > 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, the best dist for politically correct power users'.
13 >
14 > Now, let's flame over what the default should be. ;)
15 >
16 > No, I'm not serious. Unless it's about code.
17 >
18 > //Humming, pondering if he's naming it GNU/Linux because he used GNU
19 > tools to build it, should he then name his Great Novel after the
20 > typewriter? ;)
21
22 Since at the heat of a novel there is always a bunch of words
23 then one should call his novel: Word. (or Verb, Noun, Sentence, Meaning) :-)
24
25 I think the problem is that Linux is not like "Windows", or "Macintosh":
26 it is not the name of a product, but of a kernel. It's not about tools here
27 but about a product name. I don't care about GNU/Linux, or Linux, but
28 I have noticed that many users (newbies) are confused with all this Linux
29 7.2/8.2/6.4 Suse/RedHat/blabla. They associate the number with the
30 version and the "distribution" also with some kind of version (like XP).
31 IMHO it should be more correct to say just "Gentoo" when talking
32 about the disto, "Gentoo linux" when talking to Linux (kernel) specific
33 issues of Gentoo (like Gentoo/SPARC or PPC for hw platform issues),
34 but now it's too late :-) none will think of Linux just of a kernel
35 because
36 it is the symbol of the entire set of gnu an non-gnu software which we all
37 use. I think that the problem will be more real when some distro (I hope
38 gentoo will)
39 will try to use Hurd or some bsd kernel as an alternative; then it will
40 be important
41 to state Gentoo Linux, as opposed to Gentoo freebsd or Gentoo Hurd.
42
43 Marko