From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category for Lua related packages
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:46:37
1 On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08:09 Tue 02 Nov     , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
3 >> On 11/2/10 4:24 AM, Rafael Goncalves Martins wrote:
4 >> > I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
5 >> > called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.
6 >>
7 >> Just checking: how many packages would be in the new category?
8 >
9 > In case anyone was wondering, I wanted to check how many packages
10 > typically showed up in a category. Here's a histogram of the
11 > distribution. The number of packages are in column 1, and the number of
12 > categories having that many packages are in column 2 (bin size 10,
13 > number shown ±5).
14 >
15 > To summarize, half the categories have 10-50 packages, then there are a
16 > number of huge ones. If you can get at least 15 packages, it's a
17 > reasonable starting point for a new category.
18 >
19 > 5       5
20 > 15      19
21 > 25      15
22 > 35      21
23 > 45      14
24 > 55      9
25 > 65      7
26 > 75      10
27 > 85      9
28 > 95      2
29 > 105     7
30 > 115     1
31 > 125     4
32 > 135     4
33 > 145     1
34 > 165     1
35 > 185     4
36 > 195     1
37 > 205     1
38 > 215     1
39 > 225     1
40 > 245     2
41 > 255     1
42 > 265     3
43 > 295     2
44 > 345     2
45 > 355     2
46 > 375     1
47 > 485     1
48 > 545     1
49 > 985     1
52 Hi Donnie,
53
54 thanks for the stats.
55
56 I'm just wondering if it's worth add the packages now, before create
57 the new category, and have more packages to fix when creating the new
58 category.
59
60 Best regards,
63 Rafael Goncalves Martins