From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Declare the type of source
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 14:52:41
1 On Mon, 2021-06-28 at 09:46 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2021-06-28 at 15:00 +0200, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Instead, imagine that each ebuild declares a variable called SOURCETYPE ( or
5 > > similar, or in metadata.xml if you prefer ) and with a tool like equery/eix we
6 > > are able to get the list of all packages that compiles C code.
9 > I think all you are really asking for is that we stop omitting a random
10 > subset of @system from *DEPEND.
11 >
12 > This is long overdue, for many reasons, but in particular it would
13 > force us to declare a dependency on a C compiler if one is needed and
14 > allow you to re-test only those packages that use a C compiler.
17 Which C compiler? The one I have in CC for the package in question, or
18 the one selected via gcc-config, or any random C compiler that might not
19 be used at all? Does that mean that if clang is pulled via depgraph,
20 Portage will insist on depcleaning gcc by default?
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny