From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What to do with people who use internal eclass functions?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:06:30
1 On 26 August 2013 19:38, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hello, all.
4 >
5 > I've noticed that some people are using internal eclass functions
6 > in their ebuilds. I mean, functions that are explicitly marked
7 > @INTERNAL and that start with an underscore. What should I do to them?
10 Not sure if this is a warnings/error category yet, but imo, repoman should
11 at least warn about this if at all possible.
14 > I would expect that Gentoo developers are professionals. Or at least
15 > semi-reasonable people. Yet it seems that I was mistaken.
18 Sometimes in the case of "I accept my code will be broken in the future",
19 then its somewhat acceptable by proxy to use internal functions. Though
20 granted, if this is in an ebuild, then that ebuild should not be stabilized
21 imo.
24 > We were never pinged about the internal function use. Nobody bothered
25 > to ask us why the function is internal and what they should they use
26 > instead. I guess it was the usual 'it works, i don't care' case.
27 >
28 > What should I do now? Mask the ebuild? Proceed with changing
29 > the function and break it?
32 I would consider that acceptable, because an ebuild that uses an internal
33 function, is something I would consider "already broken", as using an
34 internal function is acknowledging an inevitable breakage will occur.
37 > Or maybe do we need to have GPG signature verification of bash
38 > tracebacks in every internal function to prevent developers from using
39 > those?
44 > --
45 > Best regards,
46 > Michał Górny