From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Remove "dev"-status of mips profiles
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:57:16
1 On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:41:41 -0800, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:54:38PM +0100, Torsten Veller wrote:
4 >> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
5 >> profiles/profiles.desc?
8 >> The ~150 mips development profiles increase the time for a
9 >> `repoman -d full` run in dev-perl/ from three to five minutes. That is
10 >> an increase of roughly 66 percent.
11 >> repoman further prints more than 2000 lines of output for two
12 keywording
13 >> problems.
14 >
15 > Quick pcheck visibility scan of the full tree, stats follow:
16 >
17 > mips profiles still enabled:
18 > * 116191 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency
19 > issue
20 > * roughly 2m39s run time
21 >
22 > mips profiles disabled (leaving mips-irix however)
23 > * 9550 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency issue
24 > * roughly 1m54s run time.
25 >
26 > So... mips accounts for about 30% of the pcheck runtime, and *92%* of
27 > known visibility issues. As for the runtime difference between
28 > pcheck/repoman, pcheck has some tricks internally to reduce the # of
29 > profiles it has to scan down to just the unique USE/mask set- I'd
30 > expect the mips impact to be far larger w/out that trick in place.
31 >
32 > At the very least if it's going to be kept around, experimental or
33 > not, the number of profiles in use there *really* needs reduction-
34 > mips has roughly 117 profiles listed in profiles.desc out of 217-
35 > literally ~54% of all dev/stable/experimental profiles.
36
37 I agree, I wasn't sure why so many profiles were added[1] for a dead team
38 (for all intensive purposes). Seems quite silly to me to leave them as
39 'dev' status. If a member of the mips team would reply to this thread, that
40 would be good. (and surprising to me :)
41
42 I would guess that it would be far easier to work in an overlay at this
43 point. I would also guess that if there are ANY mips users out there that
44 they would have to use some other ACCEPT_KEYWORDS value because the shape
45 of ~mips is so...bad.
46 -Jeremy
47
48 [1]: