From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 15:00:49
1 On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:56:18 +1000
2 Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Sorry, I thought this thread was about whether to keep or discontinue
5 > the separation between stable and testing branches.
6
7 Yes and it was others that said lack of stable would effect
8 enterprise/professional usage. I simply said that argument was moot as
9 there are other objections beyond not having stable.
10
11 Most I know would say Gentoo as a whole is not stable, regardless of
12 any stable packages, branch, etc. They do not consider Gentoo stable.
13
14 FYI, I have always run Gentoo for professional usage. I have a
15 business. My business has always run Gentoo on all servers, desktops,
16 workstations etc. Those locally who have worked for me and in my LUG
17 know this fact. I have also interviewed with many companies in the US
18 who either did run Gentoo or still do. Thus I have some directly
19 knowledge on that shrinking market.
20
21 Beyond my opinion, gentoo -debian - suse -redhat
22 https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=gentoo+-debian+-suse+-redhat&l=
23
24 Very few if any are after Gentoo skills. Change that to any other
25 distro and see the difference. Of course Gentoo is always mentioned
26 with others, but are they running Gentoo is the question. Seeking
27 Gentoo skills and companies running Gentoo are not the same.
28
29 gentoo
30 https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=gentoo+&l=
31
32 It is always lumped in with others, rarely by itself.
35 William L. Thomson Jr.